Harlem was a lot of fun, and a good experience. I didn't really realize how much history Harlem had. I liked seeing the little african american children at the Schomburg Center. It was cool to see how much more than me they knew. My favorite part of the trip was eating at Sylvia's. We had "soul food", which consists of corn bread, ribs, fried chicken, and so on. It was really good. It was also really funny when me and Joe G heard a guy yell "get outta here you ****suckers." I understand where the guy was coming from though. We were the rich white kids coming to observe how they lived. I don't know about anyone else, but I was thinking to myself how lucky I was not to be them. If i was in their situation I would probably be mad as well. My favorite part of the trip besides the food was probably the Apollo Theater. It was hilarious Mike H sang on the stage. I also liked learning about all of the famous people who were on the posters. I heard a lot of their songs before, but I had no idea who most of them were. The tour guy, Neal Shoemaker, was also the man. I had a lot of fun in Harlem.
here is a link of people all gathered around observing something.
http://www.chittlehampton.devon.sch.uk/homedir/images/Observinghabitats.JPG
Imagine being the subject to these observations. The people looking at you obviously think they're better than you, and I know I wouldn't want some random people that I didn't know being interested in how much my life sucks. I was not offended at all when that man called us all ****suckers because it was completely justified. I actually feel bad that we made a lot of people feel bad about themselves.
2 comments:
Michael Robert, i happen to love your descriptions of Harlem, the way you describe this trip, i can tell you really enjoyed this trip. I was wondering how seriously you took these comments that the lady said to our group. Did it hurt you? Also, I'm guessing you really enjoyed Mike singing in the Apollo. Maybe you should by Mike's first CD. Overall, I thought this was a very informative post.
haha thank you connor and i just explained, probably right after your comment, what i thought wen the man called us ****suckers. read the new part!
Post a Comment